Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Craftsman 1 Hp Shallow Well Pump Problem



I have a 1 HP Craftsman Shallow Well Jet pump.
It has been operating smoothly until some weeks ago.
The pump is set to turn on at 40 PSI and turn of at 60 PSI.
Water in the well is not an issue and there are no leaks in the supply line (from well to pump)
There is a leakage in the line to my sprinkler valves and some hose connections, making the pump to normaly switch on every couple of hours (varying between 6 adn 12 hours).
Turning the pump of the pump holds its pressure rather smoothly for up to 12 hours
Some time ago the pump did not turn of, causing teh water to heat to steam and melting some of the outlets.
I fixed the outlets (replaced these) but fear that interanlly the heat damaged some parts.
The pump will still start at 40 PSI but will not turn off in all cases. Sometimes it is sufficient to remove the AC Power and then it will build up pressure up to 60 PSI within seconds and turns off.
I don't dare to let the pump be connected to the AC power since it may not shut off again.
Please help

and there are no leaks in the supply line (from well to pump)
Some time ago the pump did not turn of, causing teh water to heat to steam and melting some of the outlets.
Steam doesn't build up from running. Water vapor is produced by cavitation. Usually when a pump is cavitating it also becomes noisy and sounds like gravel is inside. Those are the air bubbles popping. When you shut the pump off and the pressure pops up, that's also the air bubbles popping.
Most of the time, cavitation is caused by a leak on the suction side. So get some shaving cream and test the joints. Slather it on thickly all the way around, then start the pump and look for little depressions or dimples. Take your time and make sure you swivle your head all the way around each loint including where it enter the pump.
You really don't need that much pressure for irrigation and you really don't need a tank, either. If you were to eliminate it, you life would become simpler. Pump is turned on when you irrigate and off when you stop. Most lawn sprinkler control boxes have a connection to run a relay switch to turn the pump on and off.
If you eliminate the tank, then just make sure that you don't shut off all the faucets at the same time. You can ruin a pump by making it push against a solid object. Easy way to do that is to have sprinkler heads that can't be shut off.

Thanks very much for the reply.
I will check the supply line for leaks.
Your idea of using shaving cream is new to me but I certainly will give it a try.
Will let you know what the result was.

Originally Posted by willem K
Thanks very much for the reply.
I will check the supply line for leaks.
Your idea of using shaving cream is new to me but I certainly will give it a try.
Will let you know what the result was.
It takes some practice. The first time I tried it I didn't see anything, but I had cavitation, so I knew there was a leak. I kept trying and looking, then after a while I noticed a little something that I thought was just where I hadn't smoothed the cream enough.
Now I know to do just one joint at a time and really memorize what it looked like after I put the cream on. Then when it changes and goes down a little, I can find it.






Tags: craftsman, shallow, pump, supply line, pump turn, shaving cream, bubbles popping, causing water, causing water heat, causing water heat steam