Monday, March 10, 2014

Bradford White Ttw1



Have had no problems with this heater for years. The other night we had no hot water. When I looked at the heater the exhaust fan was running but the NG burner was not on. In looking a little closer I noticed that the clear plastic pressure tube, connecting the blower and pressure switch had water in it for about 1 inch. I disconnected the tube and cleared the water (condensation I presume). The heater then worked fine. Can I assume that the water in the pressure tube was enough to trigger the safety and that it should be OK now?
The water was in the loop and never came close to the pressure switch.

That is a safe assumption. Anytime there is a blockage in that tube it will likely prevent the water heater from running. I would be more concerned with why the water got in the tube to begin with.

That tube connects to a pressure switch and if there is water in the line, it will not sense the pressure.
I am thinking the water was caused by condensation, but have you ever noticed water in the tube before? Keep an eye on it and see if it gets more water in it.

Just had a new BW 40 gal power vent heater installed. Problem with the 12 year old one was a powervent that was loosing the ability to keep the pressure switch engaged. New one is QUIET!






Tags: pressure switch, pressure tube, water tube