Monday, March 10, 2014

Reset Honeywell Lynx System To Brandnew State



I just bought a house that has a Honeywell Lynx system installed. I don't know any codes, and I don't have any key fobs that go with the system. I would like to reset it so that any existing fobs and codes no longer work, and I can program it the way I like.
I should mention it is a Monitronics monitored system, but I called them and they are not currently monitoring the system. In addition, I don't have a land-line installed in the house yet (though there may be one left by the original owner that hasn't been disconnected yet). I plan to use the system as a local system only originally.
Any help or instructions you can give me to get this system usable is greatly appreciated.

Start with the installer manual: http://www.nassecurity.com/manuals/ADEMCOLYNX.pdf.
If you are not missing any transmitters, you may not need to default the unit, you just need to extract/change the installer code and use that to set a new master user code.
Read through the manual, and then we can help you with any parts you have trouble following.

Thank you for the link to the manual. I have looked at it, and it has answered a lot of questions. I just wanted to clarify something. In a lot of the posts regarding various honeywell alarm systems, there is mention of a box where all the wiring connections are made. In the house I bought, I can't find this box. All I can find is the control (with the keypad). I have looked in the network connections panel, and the general electric panel on the side of the house, but can't find anything related to the alarm. Does this mean that my system doesn't have that wiring box? Are there systems that don't need the box, or don't use a box. I want to find the specific Lynx model I have, but since I can't look in the box, as other posts suggest, I am not sure do this. I did open the control device and saw a sticker at the top that gave several Lynx models (LYNXR, LYNX-S, LYNX-EN, etc.) so that didn't give me the specific model I have.

The LynxR is an all in one unit. The keypad _is_ the control. The front hinges down for access to the few wiring connections that this has. These are designed for wireless devices.

Thank you, again, Mr Ron. I have just one more question (I hope). I found all the program codes in the installation manual, and I am feeling confident about those data fields and the values I want. What I am not comfortable with is the zones. If I default the unit, I am guessing all the zones will have to be set up again, right? If I just go into programming mode and start changing the configuration in the data fields to disable the monitoring portions, will I affect the zones? What about changing things like times (turning off DST) and entry/exit delays. Will that affect the zones?

OK, if I understand it right, each sensor is a zone, right? So, if I reset (default) the system back to factory settings, I will need to detect each sensor and set the zone options for that sensor. I have 2 - 3 door/window sensors and one motion sensor in the family room/kitchen. The control pad is mounted on the wall in the dining nook next to the kitchen, so I don't have to pass the motion sensor to get to the control pad if I enter through the garage.
So, here's my question: How can I see each data field and each zone and make sure they are configured correctly. I assume the system was working until monitoring was disabled before I bought the house, so if I don't need to change any zone settings, then I won't, but I want more than the default 60 seconds to turn off the alarm, so I need to know change those settings without disabling any sensors, etc.

To do what you want, you don't need to fully default the system. Now there is a possibility that the installer disabled local programming access, which would mean that this thing is junk, as far as you are concerned, but it's a low probability.
Follow along in the sections titled: The Mechanics of Programming and Data Field Descriptions
First:
unplug the battery, then disconnect AC power.
Restore AC Power
Within 50 seconds press * + # at the same time. It should come up with 20 showing in the display.
Press #20. The system will read back the installer code, one digit at a time (ignore leading zeros)
Write that number down.
To change the entry delay:
Enter *35
enter your desired delay time in seconds (up to 99)
Disable the dialer: *41* *42* *94*
*99 to exit programming.
Set a new master user code:
[installer code] + 8 + 02 + [new master code]
Test the new master code by turning on and off the chime feature. Don't try to use the installer code as a arm/disarrm code.

OK. Thank you. I will try that soon and let you know what happens. I have another, somewhat related question. The display is showing a LOW BAT warning for Zone 05 (at least there is a 05 in front of the LOW BAT warning). Since I didn't install the system, I don't know which sensor is Zone 05. None of the sensors are beeping or showing any other low battery symptoms, so how can I find out which sensors are assigned to each zone. I couldn't find those instructions in the installation manual or in the regular owner's manual.

A _good_ installer will write the zone list in the back of the user manual (which does you no good in _this_ circumstance). If it's just showing low battery, the fast and dirty way is to open the battery cover of the transmitters, one by one. If you are _lucky_ they wrote the zone number inside.
If not, when you open the battery cover it will indicate a zone tamper. That's really the only way to deal with it other than having some one open one door/window at a time while you watch the display and take notes.

I don't know if this question should have gone into a separate thread, but since there is background in my previous postings here, I am going to ask it here.
So, I finally got the system working. I found the installer code and reset the master code. I can arm/disarm the system. However, now that it is working, I have a question about the external sounder. I ran the test mode, and I didn't hear any external sounder. Since this was originally a monitored alarm system, it would make sense that they didn't install any external sounder. How easy is it to add one? Which one should I use? Any help in that area would be great.

Easy enough to add using terminals 11 and 12, but the current draw [120mA max] may be an issue. if you can use an indoor [e.g. wave2] as an exterior [i.e. in attic or crawlspace facing out].
Get install manual for more info.

These little all in one units have a pretty limited external sounder current limit (120mA max). So you will want the lowest current draw devices you can find.
These things really were designed for things like apartments, condos and small businesses, so they tend to be a bit of a kludge to try to use them for a real residence intrusion system.

I found a device called the 5800 Wave that says it works with Lynx systems (rev. 10). I also found a site that said the Lynx-R is rev. 10. Could I use a wireless siren with my Lynx-R system. Do you have any experience with that?

Those 5800WAVE units do work fairly well. If anything, they are much louder than the built in sounder on the console unit.

Greetings... I'm back at the original post on how do you actually default the system. I understand which you may need a code to get back into the system and I was able to recover a code in system using method hold down *+# upon power up proccess. Now I was wanting to add multiple sensors and accomplished that through *56 but one enrollment the numbers were mis-entered incorrectly and it did not give me the option to delete it when I went back through that section. I also need to replace a broken 5816 door window sensor and need to delete 2 motion detectors which were lost. The enrollment part is fairly easy except the part of parameters mrograming mode. I wish I was able to enter voice enhanced zone programing mode but I am having trouble using the 888 code or am entering it incorrectly to access voice enhanced mode. I am referancing p.27 in the booklet I have which is the same as the one you had listed earlier. Start with zone 2 part C can't figure out what aa means or add caa for other zones, E is the loop number and I think I need to change it to 2? for door window sensors. System said check system, fault. When I attach magnet to sensor it beeps when I take away magnet it beeps as well. How do I fix it to just beep when only the magnet is separated? enroll mode is where I messed up one of the zone numbers for the window sensor and thought if I enter a 0 it would clear it out opps. also need to adjust zone voice descriptor door to back door and room to living room etc. also when I was in this part I got stuck on the announcement saying back door back then it just kept saying door every time I would enter a number. It was a little difficult exiting that screen part. If I am able to enter default mode original factory setting Does it sound like this option is easier for me at the moment or do you have any suggestions on what is best way for me to fix these errors. Thanks I've looked over the book but maybe you have better instructions... Step by step. sorry I compiled everything into one thread reply but these are the issues I am currently trying to figure out.

C is the report code (for central station monitoring/enabling dialer activation). Just enter 11 (any non-zero value works).
For the beeps, I think that these units chime on both open and close. It's not a configurable option.
To completely delete a zone, you enter 00 for the Zone Type (location b).
To just delete a serial number you enter 0 for the Loop Number (Location E)
_Then_ you confirm the delet in location F.
Use *84 to change the zone descriptor announcement.

I believe I own one of the first lynx series of production product? My pannel varies with this page in the book and only page so far on p.39 in the same book I've been referancing to. example which I thought on p. 30 p.39 voice vocabulary number part (ID) 14 should be MAIN, is actually number 25 on my control panel. using #25 voice say's MAIN. Same as #47 my voice descriptor says Third..Do You have any other information I can use via websites? I am trying to re-number this page in the book for myself, unless I can find the actual book or page. I am currently stuck at the number or #47 trying to figure out what actual numbers mine are for downstairs, family room, guest room, living room, master beedroom, nursery, outside, utility room etc... Since I figured out den was really not den on mine and it's actually kitchen window sensor in my system in the past but I do not have those sensors so I am trying to rename each one and till I figure out the ones I've listed I am stuck. Kitchen on mine is #21. Does any of this information sound familar?
Thanks alot

Here, try this version: http://www.walkerhomesecurity.com/ho...mco/lynxii.pdf

Right on? This looks much better Current referance book was different from my panel as well on p.9 as to your website link book p.8 is exactly just like mine, Perfect The battery installation section is something I did not know about. learn something new every day That's a good thing I appreciate it alot.. Hahaha The funny thing is that this only goes to 47. Wow what an amazement of how technology progresses over the years. So my voice vocabulary doesn't consist of everything I had listed or metioned of the # numbers those are totally extra and new formated, including east, eight, five, floor, four, etc. Sounds to me like I have a new refferance book, Thanks to you.

I have a Honeywell LYNXR-EN alarm system installed in my house;12 zones.
This system was on a 3 year monitoring contract.I now own this alarm panel;
stated in the original 3 year contract.
We started the contract in 2006.We recently canceled the existing monitoring company. I want to use this system with a new monitoring company.
The existing service, still active for 30 days, will not give me the master code so the new alarm company can take control of the system.I want to start the new service ASAP.
How do I clear the blocked code so I can use this system on a new service.
Would this default back to a factory new condition?
Thank You,
zack88






Tags: reset, honeywell, lynx, system, state, installer code, door window, external sounder, master code, default system, that this, this system