Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What'S The Best Weed Killer



In my kneck of the woods now is the time when weeds grow at an amazing rate. I usually take out the big ones but the small weeds I try to spray and kill it. I have tried several brands of weed sprayers. All claim to do a good job, like kill on contact...or even guarantee weeds not to come back for a whole year ! Lies! I am yet to use a product with really good results. I am even willing to spend money on commercial quality products just as long as it does what it claims to do. Can someone recommend a product they have personally tried with excellent results? Thank you.

I think it depends on what you are trying to kill. Best to take some pictures to post (but post links through an image hosting sight) and let some experts take a look at this.
I doubt anyone will just give you one exact product because for all weeds, I doubt it exists.
Its been my personal experience, however, that killing weeds is only part of the problem. If you dont have strong grass in the yard you will do nothing but kill weeds all the time. Treat your grass well and the weeds will be choked out in time.
Edit; Also, I may be wrong about this but some things like crabgrass are more easily prevented than removed.

Hi Moonlite,
I agree with The Captain. There really isn't a 'one size fits all' chemical weed killer. I don't like using chemicals in the garden so I keep at the weeds a few minutes a day. What I use depends on where the weeds are growing. You don't say if the problem is in your lawn, in flower beds or in a veggie garden. Weed seeds will arrive at all times of the year and sprout when the conditions are best for them. Covering the bare soil in flower and veggie beds with a mulch will help to smother those on the ground and make those that arrive easier to remove.
For flower and veggie beds I prefer to use a hoe. Here's some info on these easy to use tools.
For the lawn, I tolerate some weeds, but having a thick lawn is the best prevention for weeds. This is accomplished with a combination of aeration, feeding the soil with organics and mowing high so the soil is shaded and weed seeds don't have as much of a chance of sprouting.
For open spaces a radiant heat weeder works well too. I think there is only one company in the US that sells them.
http://www.pesticide.org/radiant.html
There are also flame weeders but they aren't always safe if you live in a drought prone or fire hazard area.
http://www.pesticide.org/pubs/alts/pdf/flameweeding.pdf
Here's an interesting thread.
http://forum.doityourself.com/garden...ml#post1394156
Newt

Thanks for the responses. Actually, I'm in the sothwest desert (Arizona). Weeds just shoot up after a good rain fall and when the weather starts getting hot. They sprout from the dead desert dirt ! No veggies or anything like that. I say to myself they will eventually die on their own (haha wishful thinking). Instead, they get bigger and stronger. Then I go buy a tree and treat it like a baby...water, vitamins and the whole nine yards only to die on me in a month or so later. And my weeds look me in the face and laugh ! What can I say ?

never even knew such a device existed. Never thought of burning their roots to death. Seems like a more environmentally friendly approach.
If you go with that, I would call missdig. The feed for my entire neighborhood for television is 3 deep in my lawn. I could possibly melt the cable if I didnt know it was there with that thing.
But, chemical free sounds nice, too.

Originally Posted by moonlite
Thanks for the responses.
You are very welcome!
Actually, I'm in the sothwest desert (Arizona). Weeds just shoot up after a good rain fall and when the weather starts getting hot. They sprout from the dead desert dirt ! No veggies or anything like that. I say to myself they will eventually die on their own (haha wishful thinking). Instead, they get bigger and stronger.
That is because they are adapted to the conditions and their roots grow deeply very quickly. Read my signature and I'm sure you'll agree.
Then I go buy a tree and treat it like a baby...water, vitamins and the whole nine yards only to die on me in a month or so later. And my weeds look me in the face and laugh ! What can I say ?
You may be over-pampering your trees, planting them too deep, watering too often and not deeply enough and/or planting the wrong trees for the location. Here's some helpful info on plant trees and water them.
This site is for professionals, but has some good tree suggestions and descriptions. It has music when it starts.
Arid Zone Trees
Good links from the University of Arizona Extension Service.
Pima County Home Horticulture
Gardening in Arizona and hot climate gardening with lots of great info.
Gardening in Arizona
Beautiful Borders
plant, water and mulch trees.
Plant Trees at arborday.org
Transplanting Trees and Shrubs
Trees Are Good - Tree Care Information
Watering Trees and Shrubs
Newt






Tags: best, weed, killer, Actually sothwest, Actually sothwest desert, Actually sothwest desert Arizona, Actually sothwest desert Arizona Weeds, after good, after good rain, after good rain fall, after good rain fall when, anything like