Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Old Delta Shower Faucet Need Replaced Don'T Know What Series It Is



I have looked everywhere and after lots of research I still can't figure out what series delta monitor shower faucet I have. The house was built in late 80's but it is in a basement bathroom, so it could have been finished after that. At any rate it is an old chrome lever with a seperate little lever on it to adjust temperature. I am assuming I first need to figure out what series to then be able to know what I need to convert to current series. I do not have an access panel so I am hoping to be able to convert old to new and just add a trim kit. I am not very knowledgeable with this so any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks.

Welcome to the forums! Would it be possible for you to take a couple of pictures of the valve and post them to a site such as photobucket.com and either give us the urls or copy/paste the codes to your reply post? That way we can see what you have.

What do you mean convert old to new? If the faucet is leaking or needs repair you can rebuild it.Delta parts are readily available and by taking the parts to a plumbing supply that sells to the public or decent full line hardware store the saleshelp can get you the right parts.The faucet body itself probably is ok and a rebuild would be all you needed.
As for trim of a different style etc you'd probably have to talk to someone at a plumbing supply to determine if trim different from what you have was available and would work for your faucet.Replacing what you have with the same probably isn't any more difficult than the rebuild.

After some research I was told that delta has changed its valve so I believe in order to install a new trim kit (so as to update the look) I need to convert the old valve to work with new-sorry I don't know all the technical terms but I am trying to figure out what series I have, I know delta currently has 1700 series I believe. Thanks.

I have attached a link to a few photos of what my shower handle looks like, if that helps at all. I don't want to dismantle down to the valve until I know where I am headed with this or what I need! Thanks for any help!!
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...YuWjZk1cMmTC3g

That is a 1700 Monitor Series Delta.
You should be able to buy rework trim kits for that valve without spending the effort of reworking the valve inside the wall as the bolt pattern is the same for the trim plate.

I have exactly the same shower valve and am trying to fix a leak and upgrade to a newer style. I just got off the phone with customer support at Delta and they said that there is no product that I can get that would be compatible with mine. It seemed the main reason was because the bolts on the plate are at 4:00 and 7:00 (clock position) and all of the new ones come at 1:00 and 7:00. I said that I thought I could mount the plate with the one regular bolt and one long screw, but the guy on the phone said no.
What happened with yours eventually? Were you able to upgrade or did you have to replace the plumbing in the wall? I really don't want to do that...

Ambo76, welcome to the forums. You can buy the trim rings with the lower screw locations. Not sure where Delta is coming from with that advice. Check the orange big box store. They carry a wide variety of replacement parts. And you can't use one bolt and a long screw, as the screw wouldn't have anything to bite into and would look a little dumb. Let us know if you have problems finding the plate.

Chandler,
With the screw I thought I could get a long wood screw with a matching head and thread it into the wood framing that is built around the plumbing in the wall. Mickey Mouse, but I thought maybe it'd work. I'm heading there (HD) tonight and I'll ask about the part you mentioned, but my expectations are low based on my last trip to that dept. The Delta guys also made it sound like the cartridge connections might not be compatible with my 1500 series. There are some cheap parts I could get to fix the leak, but as far as upgrading to a newer style, they made it sound like I'm up a creek.

Here is part of an email I got from Delta (I called and emailed):
Unfortunately, none of current trim kits will be compatible with your existing valve body. A new valve body would need to be installed in your wall to be able to use our new trim kits.
btw, I appreciate your help, thanks!

that is an old version and uses different parts than the newer ones so yes delta is correct

It may be that Delta doesn't make new trim kits...but I'll bet some aftermarket suppliers still have some out there somewhere.
It would surprise me if there wasn't something.

Hi there.
I am also having a problem identifying Delta shower faucet.
Anybody know what model this is ? Should I be able to get the parts?
thank you
rbc

Sorry having a problem getting photo link to work.
try this.
[url=http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee295/tariqa11/?albumview=slideshow]
rbc

photobucket has an [img] link that you can copy and paste here and it will show your picture right here in the thread

Image hosting, free photo sharing video sharing at Photobucket
It works...you just have to stop the slideshow and click the pic in the bottom corner.
Nice boat btw....

Ok, lets try this again.
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/a...oto/new004.jpg
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/a...oto/new003.jpg
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/a...oto/new001.jpg
Here are some photos of the shower faucet that I am trying to identify.
Can you help?
The cartridge assembly is broken.






Tags: delta, shower, faucet, need, know, series, photobucket albums, trim kits, compatible with, figure what, figure what series, http i928, http i928 photobucket